Group on Signal Hill

Group on Signal Hill
Back row: Avery, Kelsey, Ainsley, Patrick, Wylie, Erin, Ethan, Janiel, Larissa: Third Row: Tekowa, Anna, Audrey, Jerard, Andrew, Carl, Allie; Second Row: Elise, Aimee, Vara, Carolyn, Melissa, Morgan, Liz, Erica, JR; Front Row: Savitri, Brianna, Sharon, Lindsay, Andrea

Welcome to Our Blog

WELCOME TO OUR BLOG

As anyone who has participated in this program will attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people in Cape Town. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some amazing adventures and life-changing experiences had by the students and staff of this program who have traveled together as co-educators and companions on the journey. As Resident Director and Faculty Advisor since 2008 it has been a privilege and honor to accompany an incredible variety of wonderful UConn students to a place we have all come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey, PhD


28 April 2013

Ethan established a philosophy for life


Finding my “career” has been something I have struggled with since I was young. Always interested in a large multitude of things, it has always been a question of where I would focus my time and energy and which one of my interests would I make profitable for me. Most of family has always encouraged me to follow my passion, but there has always been an underlying tone of pursuing a career that guaranteed a job, even if it didn't necessarily appeal to me. Majors such as engineering, economics, and business have always been ones that I was encouraged to take, while when I wish to pursue the arts, there has been a level of skepticism involved. However, this trip truly has liberated my mind from the idea of financial gain. Sure it would be great to be financially secure, but I would much rather live a happy, adventuresome purpose driven life. There is nothing I fear more than sitting at a desk for the rest of my life, regardless of the financial benefits. Experiencing a little bit of traveling on this trip, I know that I will continue this exploration of this world. I only have about 60 years left on this earth if all goes well, so that is 60 years to see every corner of the Earth from the highest mountains to the jungles of the amazon. Raised on Indiana Jones, the travel channel, and fantasy novels, I have grown to love an idea of adventure, of excitement. However our culture tells us to ignore this idea, to only live through the characters of the movies. I must try to fight against this notion, and strive toward this purpose-driven life. One where I am truly happy, not simply financially secure. This time in Africa has helped me to realize, money has little to do with happiness. I have met countless co-workers and friends, many who live in Khayelitisha, and have little, but show amazing joy and passion for what they do, and are truly happy. Happier than most of the wealthy I know back in the states. Therefore, though this trip has not helped me specifically decide on a future career, it has established the philosophy in my mind that I will live and a choose a career according to what makes me happy, not anyone else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment