Group on Signal Hill

Group on Signal Hill
Back row: Avery, Kelsey, Ainsley, Patrick, Wylie, Erin, Ethan, Janiel, Larissa: Third Row: Tekowa, Anna, Audrey, Jerard, Andrew, Carl, Allie; Second Row: Elise, Aimee, Vara, Carolyn, Melissa, Morgan, Liz, Erica, JR; Front Row: Savitri, Brianna, Sharon, Lindsay, Andrea

Welcome to Our Blog

WELCOME TO OUR BLOG

As anyone who has participated in this program will attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people in Cape Town. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some amazing adventures and life-changing experiences had by the students and staff of this program who have traveled together as co-educators and companions on the journey. As Resident Director and Faculty Advisor since 2008 it has been a privilege and honor to accompany an incredible variety of wonderful UConn students to a place we have all come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey, PhD


27 April 2013

Sharon's stroll and reflections on Table Mountain


I finally took a trip to the top of Table Mountain. It was a beautiful day, the skies were clear and the sun was warm. I decided to take a solo trip to Table because during my 3.5 months stay in South Africa, I have never gone to the top and how can I go back to the States without journeying to one of the new Seven Wonders of Nature? The cable car ride up was pretty awesome and the view was breathtakingly beautiful—I felt like I could see the whole world from the top. The ocean seemed to go one forever-- I didn’t know when the ocean ended and horizon line started.
            
While I strolled along the path, I had a chance to reflect on my time here in Cape Town and write my thoughts in my journal. This experience is indescribable. Throughout the whole week, I have been preparing myself to go home, but I am not ready to leave this beautiful country. I am going to miss taking classes at University of Cape Town, hanging out at Loch Rd, interning at Cape Town Refugee Center and even the bumpy and nauseating ride of the morning commute to work. Most importantly, I will miss the unique community and the spirit of Ubuntu of South Africa.
           
 When I graduated from High School, I remember I needed to write a quote underneath my senior picture for the yearbook. I wanted to write something profound so I picked a quote my Mohamed Gandhi, “be the change you wish to see in the world.” Because I chose the quote haphazardly, it did not really mean anything to me at that time. However, now, after my study abroad experience and learning about Mohamed Gandhi and his individual role not only in South Africa but globally, the quote really resonates with me. The power of one individual is significant. As I move on in life and graduate from UConn this upcoming December, I want to dedicate my life to a career for the greater good.

No comments:

Post a Comment