Group on Signal Hill

Group on Signal Hill
Back row: Avery, Kelsey, Ainsley, Patrick, Wylie, Erin, Ethan, Janiel, Larissa: Third Row: Tekowa, Anna, Audrey, Jerard, Andrew, Carl, Allie; Second Row: Elise, Aimee, Vara, Carolyn, Melissa, Morgan, Liz, Erica, JR; Front Row: Savitri, Brianna, Sharon, Lindsay, Andrea

Welcome to Our Blog

WELCOME TO OUR BLOG

As anyone who has participated in this program will attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people in Cape Town. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some amazing adventures and life-changing experiences had by the students and staff of this program who have traveled together as co-educators and companions on the journey. As Resident Director and Faculty Advisor since 2008 it has been a privilege and honor to accompany an incredible variety of wonderful UConn students to a place we have all come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey, PhD


29 April 2013

Tekowa filled with thankfulness for this experience


Its very weird to be writing my last blog, especially since I will not be leaving Cape Town until June. I have to say from the bottom of my heart that this program has been such a gift. I have learned so much about the world and myself from my co-educators and from everyone I have met in Cape Town.  As cliche as it may sound, I have learned the true meaning of Ubuntu here. Ubuntu has permeated my mind and my heart and that attitude of love and connectedness will follow me wherever I go. 

I cant begin to explain how lucky I feel to have been able to spend the past 3 1/2 months with such beautiful people, inside and out. The people I have met through this program have some of the biggest hearts I've come across.  I truly feel that we have become a family over the past couple months. Regardless of any ups and downs, at the end of the day we all love and care about one another, and that is something incredibly special. 
Tekowa, Marita, & Vernon
To Marita, Vernon, and Vincent: thank you so much for all you have taught and shared with us. You have had a powerful impact on all of our lives and I don't think that words can begin to express what you and this time here has meant to me. As Marita has put it: You've left your hand print on my heart. 
To the rest of my wonderful co-educators: I am so proud of all of you and what you have achieved here. I have seen every single one of us grow beyond belief and come closer to the amazing people we are meant to be. I feel privileged to have been a part of your journey, and you a part of mine. I have no doubt that you will all go on to do incredible things, as you are incredible people. You have all helped to restore my faith in humanity and I really believe that together we will change the world. This is just the beginning!

To Cape Town: You have stolen a piece of my heart and become a place that I call home. This is not good bye for I know this is not the last time I will see you. Your spirit of Ubuntu will always be with me. I have seen such pain, joy, warmth, strength, struggle, and resiliency in this beautiful city and I have to say that there is no place in the world quite like Cape Town. 

To the blog readers: Thank you for following our journey. Words can not explain what we have experienced here in Cape Town but we have done our best to share that with you. I hope that some of you will visit this beautiful place we've come to call home and I hope that through our blogs Cape Town has touched your heart too.

It is hard to accept that this experience is over, but this also the beginning of the next chapter for all of us. We are all richer in spirit because of this. Thank you Cape Town. Thank you to everyone who made this possible. 

UBUNTU: I am because we are.
Love, 
Tekowa

No comments:

Post a Comment