Group on Signal Hill

Group on Signal Hill
Back row: Avery, Kelsey, Ainsley, Patrick, Wylie, Erin, Ethan, Janiel, Larissa: Third Row: Tekowa, Anna, Audrey, Jerard, Andrew, Carl, Allie; Second Row: Elise, Aimee, Vara, Carolyn, Melissa, Morgan, Liz, Erica, JR; Front Row: Savitri, Brianna, Sharon, Lindsay, Andrea

Welcome to Our Blog

WELCOME TO OUR BLOG

As anyone who has participated in this program will attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people in Cape Town. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some amazing adventures and life-changing experiences had by the students and staff of this program who have traveled together as co-educators and companions on the journey. As Resident Director and Faculty Advisor since 2008 it has been a privilege and honor to accompany an incredible variety of wonderful UConn students to a place we have all come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey, PhD


30 November 2013

Melissa's Cape Town experience will last a lifetime.



Melissa with grade 9 learners from City Mission Educational Services, Cape Town
A year ago I had no direction. I was busy doing everything and anything but I feel like I didn’t have a goal. I knew I wanted to be great. I loved service (still do) and academics were important. This time last year I was taking seven classes and working four jobs (much like I am right now) but it was all so that I could go to Cape Town. I spent my time being as busy as I could but never reflecting on my experiences. I would admit that every experience shaped a person and influenced their next experience but I don’t think I actually lived that way. I had a routine. Each day went by and the next day came and I went through the motions ascribing to passions I thought I was informed about. I was pretty sure I knew what it meant to learn but I was wrong. I knew what it meant to consume information. Learning is different, Cape Town showed me that. The biggest thing learned it is not our responsibility to judge and critique those who display unappreciable actions instead we must teach them and we must lead with integrity and be an example for others. It is my responsibility, our responsibility, to educate others by speaking out on important topics and sharing knowledge and inspiration. This is a lifelong commitment; there is always something new to learn and explore. Therefore I must lead by my actions with the proper intentions and for the right reasons to teach, enact change, or motivate someone.  I can’t say in even an unlimited amount of space how much this program changed me. I can say that I’m grateful and through meaningful conversations and lifelong connections I will always appreciate my time in Cape Town. When I’m stuck I’ll remember my students. When I’m struggling I’ll call on my friends, my second family. I never knew that when the day came to go home, I’d be calling Cape Town my home. Cape Town changes people. It reminds you that beauty exists around every corner and that the opportunities to learn are endless. My journey in Cape Town did not last three and a half months, this experience will last a lifetime. That’s the truth.    

No comments:

Post a Comment