Group on Signal Hill

Group on Signal Hill
Back row: Avery, Kelsey, Ainsley, Patrick, Wylie, Erin, Ethan, Janiel, Larissa: Third Row: Tekowa, Anna, Audrey, Jerard, Andrew, Carl, Allie; Second Row: Elise, Aimee, Vara, Carolyn, Melissa, Morgan, Liz, Erica, JR; Front Row: Savitri, Brianna, Sharon, Lindsay, Andrea

Welcome to Our Blog

WELCOME TO OUR BLOG

As anyone who has participated in this program will attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people in Cape Town. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some amazing adventures and life-changing experiences had by the students and staff of this program who have traveled together as co-educators and companions on the journey. As Resident Director and Faculty Advisor since 2008 it has been a privilege and honor to accompany an incredible variety of wonderful UConn students to a place we have all come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey, PhD


28 April 2013

Carl's ready to share what he's learned


This semester has been so much fun and has taught me more then I ever thought it would. After this semester I am so much more aware of my white privilege, sexist advertisements, the racism and sexism in Disney, the separation of people based on race and class in the world,etc.. Once I leave here I don’t want to stop learning about these social dynamics and issues. I have already decided that I am going to establish a human right minor when I return home. Even though I won’t have much time over the next two years to fit in extra human rights classes, I will still find time to take them, even if it means I will
have to take another summer or winter of classes.

I now also have to start thinking of how I will share what I have learned to others once I return to the USA, which won’t actually be until the end of July for me. As of now, all I am sure of is that it wont be easy. It is hard to describe the social dynamics of Cape Town with words. It is one of those things that you just have to come here to experience. So everyone reading this, come to Cape Town and spend a good amount of time here. Experience the townships and talk to the wonderful people of Cape Town. All I can share for now is that when I get home I must stand up for what I believe in by acting on my values and not giving into the racist and sexist culture or the USA just to fit in. Over the next three months Im sure I will have plenty of time to reflect on my experiences here and come up with other ways to share what I am learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment