Group on Signal Hill

Group on Signal Hill
Back row: Avery, Kelsey, Ainsley, Patrick, Wylie, Erin, Ethan, Janiel, Larissa: Third Row: Tekowa, Anna, Audrey, Jerard, Andrew, Carl, Allie; Second Row: Elise, Aimee, Vara, Carolyn, Melissa, Morgan, Liz, Erica, JR; Front Row: Savitri, Brianna, Sharon, Lindsay, Andrea

Welcome to Our Blog

WELCOME TO OUR BLOG

As anyone who has participated in this program will attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people in Cape Town. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some amazing adventures and life-changing experiences had by the students and staff of this program who have traveled together as co-educators and companions on the journey. As Resident Director and Faculty Advisor since 2008 it has been a privilege and honor to accompany an incredible variety of wonderful UConn students to a place we have all come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey, PhD


28 April 2013

Wylie shifting emotions from exhausted & numb to committed & hopeful

The group on their final hike to the top of Lion's Head
Sitting on the plane in London, about to leave for New York, I feel exhausted and almost numb.  I started tearing up a little at our final house meeting in Loch, and a bit before we left the Cape Town airport.  It was really hard saying goodbye to Marita, Vernon, Ben, and Erin, and also to the few of us who were staying on in Cape Town.  It was also hard to say goodbye to my beautiful city through the window as our plane crept higher in the night sky.  But I really felt the pain of leaving at our connector stop in Heathrow, where we said goodbye to a good third of us who were travelling in Europe.  I felt very overwhelmed (and I hate crying, especially in public!!)— even though we had left Cape Town behind, it still felt like “Cape Town” while we were mostly together.  Now that about half of us were separated, it started to become a reality that our adventure had ended.  At the same time though, I feel so thankful to have befriended such amazing, cry-worthy people. 

Outside of our group, I miss so much about Cape Town already: minibuses, Khayelitsha, Fat Cactus, Mowbray, Rondebosch, Malleson, UCT, Woolworth’s, TAC, Xhosa, samosas, Kirstenbosch, Muizenburg, Joburg, curiosity, spontaneity, diversity, vibrancy.  I need to work on bringing these things home with me, because I know they are still in my heart.  I am so sad to be leaving the places and people I have fell in love with, but I know I will be back.  And the best feeling is that it will feel like “Cape Town” again— my UConn Cape Town community will be back on campus with me in the fall.

As I wrote in one of my first journal pages after arriving in South Africa: “I’m on an adventure, and what is an adventure without facing a little bit of struggle.”  I’m struggling to accept that the end of our “scheduled” adventure is over, but I am opening myself to be able to continue all that we have created with a new adventure at home.  It is with a renewed sense of growth, and increased compassion, confidence, and determination that I hope to re-enter my US world with.  I hope to stay committed to all that I have learned about activism, privilege, and non-violence by channeling my feelings into positive places.  I have so much hope for the future, so much love for the people whom I have met, and so much potential to do good. 






Over the time I’ve been writing this, I have experienced a shift in my emotions; out of my initial sadness has come the realization of all these wonderful, beautiful feelings— from nothing, something.  I am realizing that “I Am” an agent of change, and that spreading this message is the best way to constantly keep South Africa, my friends, and my experiences in my heart.

With love, peace, and hope for endless possibilities. 











No comments:

Post a Comment