Group on Signal Hill

Group on Signal Hill
Back row: Avery, Kelsey, Ainsley, Patrick, Wylie, Erin, Ethan, Janiel, Larissa: Third Row: Tekowa, Anna, Audrey, Jerard, Andrew, Carl, Allie; Second Row: Elise, Aimee, Vara, Carolyn, Melissa, Morgan, Liz, Erica, JR; Front Row: Savitri, Brianna, Sharon, Lindsay, Andrea

Welcome to Our Blog

WELCOME TO OUR BLOG

As anyone who has participated in this program will attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people in Cape Town. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some amazing adventures and life-changing experiences had by the students and staff of this program who have traveled together as co-educators and companions on the journey. As Resident Director and Faculty Advisor since 2008 it has been a privilege and honor to accompany an incredible variety of wonderful UConn students to a place we have all come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey, PhD


28 April 2013

Jerard hopeful despite the challenging dualities of life


3 months have come to an all too rapid and abrupt end. During this time I’ve done everything from wrestling with elephants to putting on a talent show. As I sit here reflecting on everything we’ve accomplished as a group I can’t help but feel a sense of pride as well as a bit of sorrow. When we first arrived we were all struck by how beautiful South Africa is, and I remember being immediately struck by the pockets of poverty amidst the beauty. That is what this trip has been for me, a combination of ugliness amidst beauty. During orientation we were taken to all of the gorgeous views Cape Town had to offer. At the same time we were shown the townships that sprawled across sections of the city.

After being properly situated and released into the wild so to speak, I developed friendships with many of the locals. Once again even the people demonstrated the duality between beauty and ugliness. I met some of the most physically and spiritually beautiful people of my life. The people were able to wax poetic about community, love, forgiveness, courage, you name it. They forced me to reflect on things that I had never even considered in my entire life. Those same people could say equally terrible things. One of my coworkers for instance talked about how the country was moving towards a better place and how happy she was her kids were being given the opportunities she was never afforded. Immediately after this she, a coloured woman, began to talk about how terrible the blacks are in this country. She warned me against trusting them because they were dangerous and base creatures. It just went to show me that some prejudices die hard.

The people that came with me on this trip even began to demonstrate this duality. We would have these profound discussions about life and race, and turn around and make assumptions about one another and people we’d met. Or we would come to the realization that there was no point in sweating the small stuff and that everyone should show compassion to one another, right before we started bickering and treating one another poorly. Overall this group has grown and done some truly inspiring things. I think everyone has honestly developed a greater consciousness about how our actions can affect others.

All of this ugliness and beauty has given me something I might have lost along the way, and that’s hope. Being in South Africa has given me a hope for the future of our planet and our species. I see now that no matter what terrible thing is going on there is always something good to be found. My peers and the history of South Africa have taught me that if just one person stands up then they can make the world a better place. Our activist projects have shown me that everyone wants to be happy and do the right thing. All it takes is the opportunity. So as I fly home I feel a great sense of sorrow at leaving a place that has given me so much, but I know that the beauty of it all is that I’m going home to another beautiful place that is yearning to learn the lessons South Africa has taught me. To all of my co-educators, to the people of South Africa and to everyone waiting at home I cannot express how much I appreciate every last one of you, and words cannot describe how much I love everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment