Group on Signal Hill

Group on Signal Hill
Back row: Avery, Kelsey, Ainsley, Patrick, Wylie, Erin, Ethan, Janiel, Larissa: Third Row: Tekowa, Anna, Audrey, Jerard, Andrew, Carl, Allie; Second Row: Elise, Aimee, Vara, Carolyn, Melissa, Morgan, Liz, Erica, JR; Front Row: Savitri, Brianna, Sharon, Lindsay, Andrea

Welcome to Our Blog

WELCOME TO OUR BLOG

As anyone who has participated in this program will attest, there are no words or pictures that can begin to adequately capture the beauty of the scenery or hospitality of the people in Cape Town. Therefore, this blog is merely intended to provide an overview of the program and a glimpse at some amazing adventures and life-changing experiences had by the students and staff of this program who have traveled together as co-educators and companions on the journey. As Resident Director and Faculty Advisor since 2008 it has been a privilege and honor to accompany an incredible variety of wonderful UConn students to a place we have all come to know and love.

In peace, with hope, Marita McComiskey, PhD


03 May 2013

Avery ready to ignite that passion to work for positivie social change


It has officially been 6 days since I have left Cape Town, 5 days since I arrived in my own home, 4 days since I unwillingly unpacked my suitcases and realized I wasn’t going back to Cape Town in the next couple of weeks…. 3 days since I already had a fight with my friend whose opinion on the world is so starkly different from my own that I am afraid of how or if we will communicate now about issues that we both feel polar to. It has been 2 days since I visited with my grandmother and tried to explain in pictures what I couldn’t, until eventually I dissolved. 1 day since I went back up to UConn to see how life had carried on with my peers during the semester I was abroad and found that my friends had been active all semester with amazing causes- everything from UConn Amnesty to UConn Empowered.
             
Today- I am sick in bed, and so I am taking this brief moment of rest to close the final formal homework assignment for Cape Town. My last Blog Post, it has been challenging to write blog posts all semester because each one requires that we look at a situation and draw from it some ideas and conclusions as to how it affected us rather than simply noting that it happened. I’ve now got four months of summer break ahead of me- and in my mind I keep remembering how much was accomplished in Cape Town during that time. Its exciting- because potentially the same could be done here.
            
Perhaps it is now necessary to end the mourning period for Cape Town and instead let this ball of emotion in my stomach start to churn and turn into energy again. There are plenty issues in my own community.  In the light of the Boston Attacks some of that old group-blaming attitude has resurfaced, perhaps I may find a way to become involved with the Muslim community and better understand how even as American citizens they are still in many times of fear treated as scapegoats.

In my own University community we currently have a outrage against a female student who intelligently and rightfully spoke out against the worship of our basketball team. She asked that we, as a university, support the students who have been victimized on campus rather than uphold the so-called “values” of our sports teams. The response to her sensible plea has been appalling and disgusting. Threats have been made to this student as she attempts to go to class and the university continues to act as though there is not a startling rape culture on our campus, and even more hostility toward female students than is acceptable in a school where we make up 50% of the undergraduate population and deserve equal protection from the school.   
           
It seems that there are a few issues near and dear to me that I need to give attention to. I am excited to start work in my own country and within my own communities. The struggle with working in your own community is perhaps falling into the mindset that it can get done later- that if you don’t accomplish something today it will be a sure to do tomorrow. Perhaps just as we did in Cape Town I should take tours of my own communities- go into those school districts which I don’t yet know much about- those city streets I’ve been warned not to wander in. Maybe I need to listen to the stories told by people who are here and need the hand that I am ready to give. There is a campus full of students bursting with potential to make a difference in this world- I am in a prime position to strike the match that ignites a passion for some of them so that as a team this upcoming year we can effect some sort of change.

            

While in Cape Town I became quite fond of my project- Africa Acts Out. I named it this because of the play on words it had on the creativity that the program would include. The other reason was a quote that I have always been quite fond of, “well behaved women seldom make history.”  I agree wholeheartedly that groups of people who take up a cause and develop it into a full movement are the ones who make the change. I hope that in the near future I can keep up this momentum and desire to make the world a better place. That united, we can continue to Act Out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment